Get the fast facts about hormone replacement therapy, so you can be prepared when speaking with your GYN specialist.
1. THE ROLE OF HORMONES
The hormones that drive female reproduction are produced by your ovaries: estrogen and progesterone. Along with the adrenal glands, they also produce testosterone. Many organs within the body have receptors for these hormones, such as the breast, uterine lining, vagina, bone, and blood vessels. In addition to driving reproduction, estrogen, progesterone and testosterone have a roles in many other areas of the body: maintaining bone and cardiovascular health, and in regulation of body fluid.
2. HORMONE THERAPY IS NOT ONE SIZE FITS ALL
- Estrogen-only HRT – Safer than combination HRT but should only be taken by women who have had a hysterectomy. Because estrogen causes the lining of the uterus to thicken, if a woman with a uterus takes estrogen-only HRT, the endometrium will thicken without the balancing effects of progesterone. This increases the risk for endometrial cancer.
- Estrogen + Progesterone HRT – Women who have a uterus must have HRT with added progesterone. This is necessary in order to balance the effect of estrogen on the uterine lining and prevent overgrowth and potential cancer within the uterus.
3. CONFLICTING REPORTS CAUSE CONFUSION
Both the media and the healthcare industry have conflicting reports about what kind of therapy is appropriate for women. This can result in unnecessary suffering. Whether a woman enters menopause naturally or surgically, at CIGC, our GYN surgical specialists have the experience to provide women with tailored hormone replacement therapy when appropriate, and understand that each woman experiences menopause differently.
4. BENFITS OF HRT
- Reduction in the severity and frequency of hot flashes
- Improvement of moodiness and sleep problems
- Prevention of loss of bone density and osteoporosis
- Prevention of vaginal atrophy, dryness and irritation
- Maintenance of skin collagen (which helps skin elasticity)
5. ALWAYS CHOOSE A GYN EXPERT
The surgical specialists at The Center for Innovative GYN Care thoroughly evaluate each woman’s unique condition. Assessing the needs of the individual directs them to the right approach for therapy. That may not always be hormone replacement therapy. The surgeons will work with you so you can cope with changes to your body.
Learn more about hormone replacement therapy or lifestyle modifications.
CIGC surgical specialists Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD or Dr. Natalya Danilyants are experts in the most minimally invasive procedures, as well as managing HRT for patients following surgery. Book a consultation today.