Fibroid Awareness Month
Recognizing Fibroid Awareness Month
By age 50, as many as 80% of women will develop fibroids, which are noncancerous growths in the uterus. Fibroids are common, yet many people do not fully understand what they are or the impact they can have. CIGC recognizes Fibroid Awareness Month every July to help affected people understand the condition and its symptoms, the importance of early diagnosis and the best available treatment options.
Fibroid Awareness Month was started by The White Dress Project to promote awareness, raise funds for research and increase support for people with fibroids. Because many women who experience heavy bleeding from fibroids are afraid to wear white, The White Dress Project uses the symbol of a white dress to illustrate what a fibroid-free life could look like after treatment.
- Fibroids are benign tumors in the uterine muscle.
- About 20-50% of people with fibroids are symptomatic.
- The burden of fibroids for African American women is disproportionately high.
- Fibroids can cause infertility by preventing implantation or can result in miscarriage.
- Fibroids do not disappear during or after menopause.
- Fibroids are treatable with a myomectomy.
- Fibroids are curable with a hysterectomy.
If you are looking into treatment for fibroids, the GYN specialists at The Center for Innovative GYN Care can help. Talk to a patient advocate today about meeting with one of our experts.
Request A Consultation
Fibroid Treatment Options
The Center for Innovative GYN Care offers two minimally invasive surgical options for fibroid removal:
- LAAM: Fertility-preserving advanced laparoscopic myomectomy procedure that removes fibroids while preserving the uterus for women of childbearing age
- DualPortGYN: Innovative laparoscopic surgical hysterectomy technique that removes fibroids permanently
Book A Consultation
GYN surgical specialists can often see women sooner than a standard OBGYN because they are focused entirely on surgery. Each patient gets detailed, in-depth attention from Dr. Natalya Danilyants and Dr. Paul J. MacKoul. This personalized care helps patients understand their condition, such as fibroids and the recommended treatment so they can have confidence from the very start. Our surgeons have performed over 25,000 GYN procedures and are constantly finding ways to improve outcomes for patients.
Offices are conveniently located in:
- Rockville, Maryland
- Reston, Virginia
- Montclair, New Jersey
- New York, New York
Women looking for a GYN specialist for a laparoscopic hysterectomy, endometriosis excision or fibroid removal travel to CIGC from around the world.